10 Tips to Keep You Going When You’re About to Give Up
I wanted to quit so many times!
Yep, you read this right! I wanted to quit being a coach, an entrepreneur and a program I followed, so many times. For example a few weeks ago I was completely stuck in a program, my progress was nowhere to be found and I lost all hope, but more importantly, I lost the confidence that I would succeed as an online entrepreneur and coach.
I suffered any block you can ever imagine, writers block (not a word came out right), inspirational block (what a nightmare that is! Even some nice flowers on my kitchen table looked messy and as if they were just dumped in the vase instead of carefully arranged), mental block (hello upper limiting), imposters block (who the blieb am I to tell I’m the world’s first Vitality Performance Coach and if so that what does that mean anyway?!), my rebellion block (why do I have to write it that way?! I hate being told what to do and how to do it, but that was of course all in my head and far from the truth as the program only provided me with guidelines of best practices and I felt them as ‘the way to do it’), and the list goes on and on and on…..
Then one day I was just fed up with being blocked and feeling stupid, feeling sorry for myself and any other let’s-not-do-this-anymore-crap. So I literally threw it all in the dustbin and went back to “start”. Why am I doing this? What do I like about the program? What was my purpose, my goal, my dream, my vision? And that’s when it all came back to me. My why! I want to ENJOY every day of my life and share that enjoyment with the loved ones around me and the people I interact and work with. ANYTHING is possible if you set your heart, intentions and mind to it.
I remembered the day on the pitch, hearing the national anthem, before my match against Argentina playing the world series after my recovery from being paralyzed due to a broken neck. I remember the tears, the joy, my pride, but most of all the enormous inner strength and gratitude I felt that day. It all came back to me. I have to find my inner strength and that fighter (which I’ve always been) in me. But how? And why is this happening to me now when everything seems to go so smood?
When I was a top athlete the best matches I played were the ones where I had the worst and most technically skilled opponent. When I really disliked her, it was even better! When the match was an easy one or when I had a nice opponent, I would usually play the worst games ever. So if I did not like her or if she was really good then all my inner strength would come out and I did not wanted to lose one single ball to her. And there was my answer. I had to picture this block as my worst opponent (and to be honest the block was the result of FEAR; the fear of being seen, the fear of sticking my head above the crowd and the fear of being like really successful! I’m raised not to do such things, be quiet, be modest and never ever say you’re good, because other people might consider that arrogant or misplaced pride!)
And to make a long story short: I started back at the beginning, started to fight that block, that negative belief and inner voice as if she was my opponent on the pitch. And by doing so I found my inspiration and got back in the flow again.
What did I do to get back in the flow again?
- Identify my Why and go back to an empty drawing board and started from scratch. What is my WHY and how can I use it to guide the process I’m in?
- I identified my fear, acknowledged her, thanked her and flipped the switch on her. If you know who your opponent is and what lessons she is learning you, it’s easier to be grateful towards it and thank her for adding valuable meaning to your life.
- I tried to find a time in my life where I had this enormous inner strength and used that incident to get back in the feeling again, to work from there. Working from strength and power is much easier and gives you an instant 75% energy benefit over starting from a weak point of view.
- I went to the internet and started to google pictures, movies and quotes about my WHY and got inspiration out of it and pulled out my PTL (Positive Trigger List) to help me flip the switch. I have my PTL in my phone always with me at hand. Whenever I have a mood that needs to flip and I don’t know what to do or how to switch, my PTL helps! If you want to know more about this, feel free to contact me.
- I put on the dress and killer shoes that I bought for my graduation. I put them on to remind myself why I started this scary journey, how I’d picture myself with all the wonderful women I was sharing a class with in the London Ritz sipping my champagne and then I sat down behind my computer.
- I took an empty piece of paper and just started writing my story, without any outline, without any guideline, other people’s best practices or guiding principles, just out of my intuition, my why and my heart (it later became my about page)
- I called my business bestie and we talked about it. Oh everyone needs a Business Bestie. It is so much fun, inspiration and motivation to share your journey with your BB. I strongly recommend you find yourself a BB if you don’t already have one.
- I celebrated my successes (page finished or job done; chocolate it is!). Celebrating your successes is major important for you mindset but also for manifesting more of the successes. Where you put your mind and attention to grows.
- I share my successes with my loved ones and journal. Every night before I go to bed, I share all my successes with my partner.
- I show gratitude for everything I’ve accomplished every single day in my notebook and in bed with my partner.
So it may look like I’m this Sunday girl, this amazing mom, this 6 figure coach and this always happy friend, that gets everything handed on a silver platter, but it’s not. It takes me courage, strength, determination, hard work, stamina and a lot of chocolate to reach my goals!
And every time I have the feeling I want to quit, bail out (yes I almost did that yesterday just before a major important and life changing interview as I was soooo scared of failing/success and showing myself to the world!) I repeat these 10 steps and get back on track again.
Hope this will inspire you! If you feel stuck or blocked or have fear over anything and you want my guidance, please feel free to contact me at info@JoyceCarols.com or visit my website www.JoyceCarols.com
About Drs. Joyce Carols
Drs. Joyce Carols is the Managing Director of Enjoy EsC. A training & Coaching Company specialized in Personal Growth, Effective Communication and Vitality Programs.
She helps female entrepreneurs and top managers to balance professional success with personal energy, vitality and happiness.
She’s a proud foster mom of two beautiful girls, a former international in both Field Hockey and Acro-diving. She has worked and lived for well-known global.
As a Leadership Coach & the worlds’ fist Vitality Performance Coach© she supports Top Managers worldwide with her special “Private Coaching Program", her “3 Day Mastermind Elite Program” and her "10 for 20 in 30 Vitality Program". Her own over two decades of experience, a hands-on mentality, enthusiasm, fun and a great amount of knowledge, makes her unique and the Leadership & Life Coach that motivates & helps you to achieve your goals. She is truly inspirational through her astonishing life story! Click here to learn more about Joyce Carols and her remarkable miracle story of overcoming a broken neck and being paralyzed, but still managing to beating the odds and play in The World Qualifying Series for the National team a few years later. Plus surviving a near dead experience.